Open Door Legal is the first nonprofit in the country to guarantee the ability to access legal representation for everyone living in a single neighborhood. We believe that everyone should be able to use the law to improve their lives and solve their problems. We believe that when this happens, poverty can be dramatically reduced.
We are a new, rapidly growing, and innovative nonprofit that has been operational for a little more than four years. In that time we have increased our budget twenty-fold and even been recognized by Google for our innovative programming. Ultimately, we plan to expand our service area and start incubating other legal aid nonprofits around the city so that all San Franciscans can use the law to improve their lives.
We offer the ability to work in a dynamic, fast-growing organization with room for creativity and a lot of autonomy. This position is best for a high-achieving individual with practical experience who is ready to lead our general practice team.
Overview of Position:
We’re hiring a staff attorney to help us tackle the tough cases. This position handles a wide variety of cases and requires someone who is flexible, resourceful, has excellent research and advocacy skills, and who loves interacting with legal aid clients. The primary case types you will handle are:
- Consumer (credit issues, debt collection defense, and bankruptcy)
- Tort & Contract (drafting demand letters and negotiations for personal injury and breach of contract cases, and providing pro per advice for clients filing in small claims)
Other case types include public benefits, tax, elder abuse, and clean slate work.
This position, like all our staff positions, involves significant client contact and requires the desire and ability to work collaboratively with low-income clients and to negotiate directly with both opposing counsel and unrepresented adverse parties.
Finally, we are looking for someone willing and eager to play a leadership role in helping to create case strategy and direct case teams. The candidate should be ready and able to support, supervise, and inspire other staff, volunteers, pro bono co-counsel, and interns.
Salary is $52,500 – $ 62,500, depending on years of experience since being admitted to the Bar.
- Close at least 80 cases per year and be able to manage at least 30 cases at one time.
- Work quickly on challenging, intellectually interesting, and interpersonally difficult cases.
- Ensure that everyone in our service area with a legal problem gets appropriate help, including legal representation. This is done by directly providing representation on certain cases, and working with our partners and volunteers on other cases.
- Be flexible: that is, be willing to appear in court on short notice when necessary.
- Recruit, train, manage, and lead a team of legal interns and volunteers
- Serve as our primary liaison to all other San Francisco consumer and financial counseling nonprofits; attend regular stakeholder meetings, etc.
- Must have an active California bar license. Applicants without active California bar membership will not be considered. However, those without a license are encouraged to apply to volunteer with us at opendoorlegal.org/volunteer.
- Must be very good at legal research and have some relevant practice experience.
- Must be willing to aggressively negotiate on client’s behalf and engage in civil litigation when necessary.
- Must genuinely enjoy working with low-income clients and be able to work competently with clients who have experienced trauma. Must be culturally competent and sensitive to barriers Bayview/Hunters Point residents face when attempting to access the justice system.
- Must be willing to make at least a two-year commitment to the organization.
- Ability to speak Spanish and/or Cantonese.
- License to practice in Federal Bankruptcy Court.
- Experience appearing in court.
- Experience working with low-income and vulnerable populations.
- Experience working in a high-volume legal aid or similar environment.
- Supervisory and leadership experience.
- Social work or similar background.
- Internship or job in a self-help center and or experience with small claims court.
- Having lived a significant period of your life in San Francisco proper.
- We offer a fun and challenging work environment for anyone who’s passionate about making a difference.
- We use best-in-class technology solutions, including Salesforce.
- We also offer medical benefits, four weeks of paid time off per year, and flexible hours.
Applications received before April 30 will be given priority
Click here to apply.